Car Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV
A car accident will occur any time that a vehicle strikes or collides with an animal, a pedestrian, a stationary object, or another vehicle. While some of these accidents can result in just property damage, it is possible that others will result in some severe injuries and even death. There are a variety of things that can contribute to a car accident and depending on what happens, it is possible that they can have legal consequences. If you have been in a car accident, it is important to contact a car accident lawyer right away to help.
Common car accident causes
There are so many different things that can cause a car accident. Sometimes it is the road conditions you are driving on, but often it is because the driver failed to pay attention to what was happening on the road. Understanding what factors contribute to these car accidents makes it easier to avoid them and can help you avoid needing an accident attorney to help afterward. Some of the biggest causes of car accidents include:
- Poor weather conditions: Many types of weather conditions can make the roadway slick, whether from ice or water. Sometimes there is even the risk of reduced visibility. These can pose a danger to all vehicles on the road and it is your responsibility to pay more attention on the road and drive slower. Failure to do so could result in you needing a car accident lawyer in Las Vegas, NV.
- Rubbernecking: Drivers who look more at things that are on the roadway rather than watching the road can get distracted and cause an accident.
- Defective parts in the car: When something in the vehicle is not working well, it makes it more likely that you are operating the vehicle in a manner that is unsafe. Some of the defects that you should watch out for in order to avoid needing an accident attorney to include brake issues, defective airbags, or defects in the tires.
- Drunk driving: Drunk driving can bring out a whole host of other issues. Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is dangerous and can be fatal. In fact, driving while drunk can increase your likelihood of being in an accident and needing a car accident lawyer by up to 900 percent.
- Driver fatigue: Driving while extremely tired can lead to many car accidents as well. If you are nodding off or falling asleep, your chances of being in a car accident increase.
- Using a device: Talking or texting while driving, or even using a GPS can make it more likely that you will be in an accident.
- Speeding: Failing to follow the posted speed limit is one of the biggest reasons that people are in car accidents.
If any of these have occurred in an accident, they can be used against the defendant at negotiations and during the trial when it comes to awarding compensation to the plaintiff. Both sides will have to present their cases before anything can happen, which is why it is so important for both to hire the right legal team to help them out. Even if you are the one to blame for the car accident, the right legal team can work with you to limit your liability and limit the amount of penalties that you face.
Liability for a car accident
After you have been in a car accident and you are talking to your car accident lawyer, they are going to work with you to determine liability in the case. Liability for these car accidents will have many factors that determine them. They can include whether there were some special circumstances that led to that accident, such as bad weather, or whether you or the other driver violated any of the traffic laws.
There are several states that follow the concept of comparative negligence. This is where both parties may be considered partially at fault for an accident. The court will be able to assign each party a percentage of the fault and then the drivers would then be held liable for that percentage of the total damages. Your car accident lawyer in Las Vegas, NV can be helpful in these cases. Even if you are the one who caused the car accident, they can work to limit how liable you are and get the damages you have to pay down to a minimum.
What are the penalties for a car accident
A driver who is held liable for a car accident, regardless of which state they live in, can potentially face criminal and civil penalties based on the circumstances around the accident. If an accident was caused because the driver was negligent, then they are subject to civil penalties if the other driver decides to file a civil lawsuit.
There are many situations that could result in civil penalties for the car accident and your accident attorney can discuss them with you. Things such as failing to look behind you when you back out to start driving, reaching for an item that fell off the seat, or not slowing down when the road is wet will all result in civil penalties.
However, if you cause a car accident because you broke traffic laws, or you were driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you are going to face criminal charges. Penalties for these criminal charges are high and can include a suspended license, prison time, and fines. Things can get worse if someone ends up dying as a result of your accident. If this happens, you could be accused and charged with involuntary manslaughter or vehicular manslaughter, which will carry severe penalties.
In addition to the criminal charges, you may also have to face a civil lawsuit. The victim in the car accident can easily file a civil suit in order to seek damages for injuries, loss of earnings, loss of property, and more. If the victim died in the car accident, their family can file a lawsuit for wrongful death so that the surviving family members can receive the compensation. If this happens to you, it is important to find a good car accident lawyer in Las Vegas, NV to help you navigate through all these different lawsuits.
If this happens to you, it is important to have a car accident lawyer on your side. This accident attorney will be on your side from the beginning to help you understand the charges you are facing and will work to help reduce your sentencing. While they are not always able to completely get the penalties to go away, but they can help to reduce them and get your life back on track.
What should I do after being in a car accident?
After you have been in a car accident, it is not uncommon to panic and not know what you should do. And then when some injuries occur, emotions will start to run high and it is easy to forget some important steps. Some of the things that all drivers involved in the car accident should do include:
- Stay at the scene: Anyone who was in the accident should remain at the scene until you are told by the police that you can leave. Depending on the jurisdiction, the police may not respond to the car accident if no one is injured. You are still required to pull over somewhere that is safe, exchange your contact information and insurance, and then go on. If you leave the scene of an accident without exchanging your information, you will be accused of a crime.
- You should also check for injuries: It will be hard for your car accident lawyer to help you receive compensation if your injuries are never found. Seeking medical help, even if you do not think that you are injured, can help protect you later on and may even find some injuries that you did not realize.
- Collect information: Collecting information will really help your accident attorney later on. Make sure to gather the names, phone numbers, addresses, and insurance information from anyone involved in the accident.
- Take pictures: The more pictures that you are able to take of the scene, the more it can help your case when you are talking to a car accident lawyer in Las Vegas, NV. Take a picture of the area where the accident occurred, the license plate and license of the driver, and anything else that may help the case.
- Call your insurance: As soon as you can after the accident is done, make sure to notify your insurance company about the accident. Your insurance agency will be able to tell you what steps you should take next.
- Keep all records: As you receive bills for medical care and repair estimates on your vehicle, you must keep track of everything. Your accident attorney will need these in order to prepare how much compensation you will ask for in negotiations. Without these, it is much harder for the car accident lawyer to help you get fair compensation.
- Obtain legal counsel: As soon as you can after the accident, whether you are the one at fault or not, make sure to obtain the legal services of a car accident lawyer in Las Vegas, NV. They will be able to help you get through the legal process after the accident.
During this time, you should also never admit fault of any kind of the accident, even if it is obvious that you were the one who caused the accident. This can be used against you later on when you try to work through court or negotiations. Wait to set up with an accident attorney before you talk to anyone, outside of the police for their report, about the case to ensure that you do not say something that will incriminate you.
Working with your accident attorney to settle the case
In many cases, unless someone died in the accident, you will work in negotiations with the other party, and your accident attorney, in order to settle the amount of compensation. Negotiations often work out best for both parties and can save a lot of time and money from going to court. Do not choose to go to these negotiations without a car accident lawyer to help you out, or you will end up not receiving the compensation that you need.
During these negotiations, both parties will arrive along with their accident attorney and representatives of the insurance agencies. During this time, your car accident lawyer will work to get you the best compensation after the accident, based on the medical bills, repair estimates, and other information that you provide to them. Of course, the other side will often try to back themselves up to and limit the amount that they have to pay.
Once both parties agree to the amount for compensation, you will then sign a statement saying that you agree with the amount and that you will not take further legal action against the other party to get more compensation. This protects the other party from giving you money and then you deciding to take them to court later on. If neither party is able to agree on the proper compensation, the case can go to court.
Before these negotiations or before going to court with your accident attorney, make sure that you do not sign anything that the insurance company or anyone else gives you. This could easily be something that signs your rights away and will give you very limited compensation. Once you sign these papers, you will not be able to work with an accident attorney to get more later on.
If you have been in a car accident, it is important to find the right car accident lawyer to be on your side right from the beginning. Our team at The Nettles Firm is here to help. We can take a look at your case and will determine the right strategy for your needs. Contact us today to get started!