There are several factors in a crash that can make a victim’s car accident claim for compensation more complex. Not wearing a seat belt when involved in a car accident is among these. This simply means that you may receive less compensation in a Henderson car accident claim as compared to someone who was wearing a seatbelt and was involved in the same kind of accident. This does not mean that you do not have a claim against the negligent driver.
Importance of Wearing a Seat Belt
One of the safest choices passengers and drivers can make is to buckle up their seat belts. Many Americans acknowledge the life-saving value of the seat belt.
As per the data gathered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the national usage rate of seat belts was at 90.3% in 2020. Seat belts used in passenger vehicles saved an estimated 14,955 lives and could have saved an additional 2,549 lives if they had been wearing seat belts, in 2017 alone. Understand the potentially fatal consequences of not wearing a seatbelt and learn what you can do to ensure you and your family are properly buckled up. Out of the 22,215 passengers killed in 2019, 47% were not wearing seat belts.
The consequences of improperly wearing a seat belt or not wearing a seat belt at all are:
- Tightening your seat belt helps keep you safe inside the car, whereas not buckling up may result in a total ejection from the passenger seat at the time of impact, which is almost always deadly.
- Improperly wearing a seat belt puts you and your family at great risk.
- Airbags are not enough to protect you. The force exerted at the deployment of an airbag can cause severe injuries to the human body, and sometimes even death if you are not wearing a seatbelt.
The advantages of tightening up your seat belt are:
- If you put on your seat belt while being in the front seat of a passenger car, you can diminish your risk of a fatal injury by 45%.
Nevada’s Comparative Negligence Laws:
It is necessary that a driver and their passengers wear a seat belt in Nevada. In some cases of Henderson car accident claims, not wearing a seat belt makes no detrimental impact to the amount of your compensation award. However, not wearing a seat belt can increase the possibility of sustaining serious damages or even death.
If the absence of a seat belt contributed as a factor in your damages, it could have an impact on the compensation amount you receive under Nevada’s comparative negligence laws. These laws could affect your claim in the following ways:
- If not wearing a seat belt contributed to 51 percent or more of your total injuries, you would have no claim for compensation against the negligent driver.
- If the absence of seat belts contributed to 51 percent or less of the total damages sustained, your claim would be reduced by the fault attributed to you.
- Even if you do not receive enough compensation to cover your medical costs, or if your claim turns out to be unsuccessful, you may still be able to file a claim against the insurer or the negligent driver if you are covered by Personal Injury Protection (PIP).
- Even if you contributed to the factors leading to your injuries, you may still be able to file a claim with your health insurer, to be reimbursed for the medical and other health expenses.
Three Ways to Help your Family Stay Safe and Avoid a Henderson Car Accident Claim:
Wearing seat belts properly at all times is extremely important for adults as well as children. Because of their vulnerable size and immature muscles, they are more susceptible to suffer dire injuries or sometimes even death. Following are some ways to increase your family’s seat belt usage:
- Ensure your children are properly wearing seat belts whenever they sit in a car.
- Until the children are 13 years of age, make them sit in the back, properly buckled up in order to mitigate the risk of damages if the car is involved in a crash.
- Pave the way for your children by setting a good example for them and wearing seat belts yourself whenever you get behind the wheel.
About Nettles Morris Law:
If you or your loved ones are involved in a car accident, and you are fretting about the possible deductions in compensation for your Henderson car accident claim, contact our fleet of professional attorneys today. We will put an end to all your worries and get you the best possible compensation you deserve. As time is of the essence in such situations, get in touch with our customer support team to schedule a preliminary consultation session as soon as possible.