Have you suffered from an injury related to a car accident in Henderson, NV? If the answer is “yes”, then you may be entitled to compensation. To learn more about your case, contact one of the premier injury law firms in Nevada, Nettles Morris Law Firm. Our Henderson car accident lawyers will answer any questions you may have involving your car accident claim during your initial risk-free consultation. Call our office today at (702)-710-9964 to speak with one of our expert attorneys and find out how much your case may be worth.
Accidents can happen anywhere and at any time. At the Nettles Morris Law Firm, our aim is to bring closure to our clients. We can help you get the compensation needed to take care of the medical bills, loss of income, and all the other problems an injury could potentially cost you. Our injury attorneys will fight for you so you don’t have to cover these costs on your own.
With our award-winning lawyers, our firm’s main focus is to ensure every client gets the compensation they deserve. Whether it’s a small fender bender or a multi-million dollar case we will fight for your rights and defend you in court if necessary. With the potential to get up to a 300% larger settlement with the help of our attorneys, you simply can’t afford to not call us. Don’t jeopardize your future by trying to handle this case on your own, call us today!
- 1 How much is the average settlement for a car accident?
- 2 How long does a car accident settlement take?
- 3 Common Causes of Car Accidents in Henderson, NV
- 4 How to get a police report for a car accident in Nevada?
- 5 Potential Defendants a Car Accident Attorney May Choose for Their Compensation Claim
- 6 Types of Damages an Accident Attorney May Help Compensate
- 7 Nevada Comparative Fault
- 8 Nevada Statute of Limitations
- 9 What to Do After an Auto Accident?
- 10 Schedule a Consultation with a Henderson Car Accident Lawyer Now!
How much is the average settlement for a car accident?
The average settlement amounts for a personal injury vary greatly. The amount you receive for your case will depend on several different factors that are unique to your specific case. An injury case on the low end may settle for just a couple of thousand dollars. However, many personal injury cases have much larger settlements. The average settlement amount for a personal injury can range from $3,000 all the way up to $75,000.
Most cases, of course, fall somewhere within the range of the very low and high ends of the average settlement amounts. There are outliers as well. You have mostly like heard of people receiving million-dollar settlements. Although there are some cases that settle for that amount, usually very unique circumstances are involved with either extraordinary damages or punitive damages. An experienced injury attorney can help you determine where your specific case falls on the typical personal injury settlement spectrum.
How long does a car accident settlement take?
Many car accident claimants frequently ask how long their case will take to get resolved from beginning to end. Depending on your specific situation, your accident claim might take anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years. Although, many victims would like to move past their accident as soon as they can, spending some extra time on your case can make a significant difference in your recovery and the outcome of your case.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Henderson, NV
Many drivers operate their vehicles while intoxicated with drugs or alcohol. According to the Nevada Strategic Highway Safety Plan, it happens quite often in Clark County. The county accounts for 65% of the fatalities and serious injuries attributed to impaired driving. It is no wonder the first thing a Henderson car accident lawyer does is to check the drivers’ BAC levels.
Unsafe lane departures
Many drivers change lanes without reassuring themselves or signaling their intentions. Others speed or fall asleep at the wheel and lose control of their vehicle. Again, this occurs more frequently in Clark County. It accounts for 62% of lane departure accidents throughout the state. An experienced Henderson car accident lawyer will consider lane departure as a potential accident cause. To prove it, they will look for witnesses and traffic video recordings.
Driving safely means more than obeying speed limits. It means adjusting vehicle speed to traffic conditions. Many drivers fail to do it. They do not realize that high speed equals less time and space to stop safely and avoid accidents. A Henderson car accident attorney knows this and will look for evidence of speeding. They will also check the driver’s records for related fines and charges.
Drivers in Henderson have made a habit of closely following the car in front of them. This is not always a good idea. Not all cars have functioning stoplights, and not all drivers signal their intentions in traffic. When they make sudden maneuvers, the tailgating car often rear-ends them. The driver of the tailgating car is usually at fault. However, a skilled Henderson can accident lawyer may prove otherwise.
Walking out of a casino or driving on streets sided with electronic signs is not easy. All those flashing signs and colors take their toll on the drivers’ attention. Some drive after a long night of gambling. Others are returning exhausted from work. There are also commercial drivers with many more hours on the job than the law allows. Fatigue is as dangerous as alcohol. It diminishes attention and reaction speed. An experienced car accident attorney will never dismiss it as a possible accident cause.
People nowadays seem to have smartphones stuck to their hands. They are addicted to the internet and especially to social media. No wonder they disregard the stipulations of Nevada Revised Statutes Section 484B.165. Even though handheld use of mobile devices behind the wheel is illegal, many drivers keep doing it. Any car accident lawyer in Henderson knows that and will try to prove it.
In theory, all vehicles operated on Nevada roads should be in good functioning order. In practice, not all of them are. Some drivers neglect basic car maintenance operations, like tire replacement and oil changes. There are also mechanics and repairs shops that charge for poorly or never performed works. An experienced car wreck attorney will recognize such cases and seek compensation from the party at fault.
The cause of the accident is very important. It allows the victims or their lawyers to identify the party at fault or the defendant. Depending on the accident circumstances, there are several possibilities.
How to get a police report for a car accident in Nevada?
If the police officer is unable to assist you, you can either talk to the police department receptionist or ask for the clerk at your local courthouse. After you have determined which department has the file for your car accident police report, you might need to go to either the courthouse or police station to obtain a copy of your police report.
The men and women serving the Henderson Police Department work hard with the local government and residents to keep the city as one of the nation’s safest places to be. The officers here take pride in the services that they offer both residents and visitors alike. The local police department is one of the nation’s most technologically advanced, and it is also nationally accredited via CALEA or the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies. Learn more about this department and the things they do by visiting:
Henderson Police Services Headquarters
Potential Defendants a Car Accident Attorney May Choose for Their Compensation Claim
- The insurer of the party at fault. Anyone driving in Nevada should carry liability insurance. The minimum coverage for personal injury is $25,000/person and $50,000/event. For property damages, the minimum coverage is $20,000/event. Any car wreck lawyer will prefer an insurance claim to a lawsuit.
- The victim’s insurer. This could be an alternative when the party at fault is uninsured. Of course, its viability will depend on the insurance coverage of the victim. Many drivers in Nevada have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. It should be easy to access for any car accident attorney in Henderson.
- The at-fault driver or traffic participant. Attorneys usually consider this option after exhausting the previous two. It involves long and troublesome court trials that do not always secure compensation. A favorable court verdict is useless when the defendant is broke and/or in jail.
- A third party. Drivers are not always at fault for the accident. Sometimes, the authorities or their contractors neglect road maintenance. There are also transport companies that hire inexperienced drivers and force them to work overtime. Other options would be repair shops doing a poor job and defective parts, suppliers. These cases are among the most challenging. They require the knowledge and experience of a Henderson car crash lawyer.
Choosing the right defendant for an accident claim is very important. The decision should take into account not only how the accident occurred, but also what the victim can prove. They or their attorney will need to prove that:
- The defendant owed them a duty of case (to obey traffic rules)
- They breached their duty (by drinking and driving, speeding, tailgating, etc.)
- Their actions led to the damages the victim or their attorney claims.
Types of Damages an Accident Attorney May Help Compensate
Depending on the severity of the accident and the available evidence, a compensation claim may cover:
- Property damage: repair or replacement of the car and other assets damaged in the accident
- Medical costs: doctor visits, surgery, medicine, medical devices, therapy, specialized care, etc.
- Disability adjustment expenses: wheelchair, home care, installation of home ramps, support bars, etc.
- Lost wages: income the victim lost by taking time off work due to injuries
- Lost earning capacity: income the victim will never earn due to their disability
- Non-economic losses: pain and suffering, loss of consortium, loss of enjoyment, etc.
In order to recover these losses, the claimant will need to prove they incurred them. They will also need to prove their value. Anyone can document already incurred financial losses. It takes an experienced Henderson car accident attorney to prove future and non-economic losses.
Thus, the value of the compensation will often depend on the skills of the car accident lawyer handling the case. It will also depend on the claimant’s ability to prove the defendant’s liability and their own innocence. Given the implications of Nevada’s comparative fault system, the victims may be blamed for their accidents too.
Nevada Comparative Fault
Under Nevada comparative fault system, both parties involved in an accident can share fault for it. Their fault percentage determines the part of the damages they are responsible to cover. The best solution to understand how the system works is to consult a Henderson accident attorney.
Let us take as an example of an accident in which one party was 35% at fault and the other one was 65%. Let us assume the total damages reached $100,000. The party 35% at fault would have to cover $35,000. The other party would be responsible for $65,000.
Under Nevada law, those more than 50% at fault for their accident are not entitled to compensation. Taking into account all the above, claimants should always expect the defendant to blame them. In the end, it all comes down to money: the higher the fault of the claimant, the less the defendant pays.
Under the circumstances, the claimant will have to prove not only the liability of the defendant and their losses. They will have to prove their own innocence. This is not easy, so it is better to turn to a Henderson car wreck lawyer for help, as soon as possible.
Nevada Statute of Limitations
Nevada laws limit the time a victim has to seek compensation for their losses. It only leaves victims two years to claim compensation for injury-related losses. The deadline is for three years for property damage. Of course, it is usually not a good idea to file separate actions.
Related: Nevada Statute of Limitations
The best strategy is to get in touch with an auto accident attorney and start gathering evidence as soon as possible. That is because most of the evidence is available at the accident scene or in its proximity. With time, brake marks and oil leaks fade. Gas stations and stores delete their recordings. Witnesses change address or forget details as well.
The more time a Henderson accident attorney has the easier building a solid case will be. Just because they start working on the case early, it does not mean they will rush the claim. They will wait until they have all the facts and they can estimate all losses. They will always act in their client’s best interests.
In fact, if called on time, they will guide their client’s steps and help them avoid costly mistakes. For example, the victims’ actions at the scene of the accident are very important for their case outcome. Alone, the victim may neglect important aspects. With the guidance of a car wreck lawyer in Henderson, they will take the right steps.
What to Do After an Auto Accident?
The first minutes after an accident are very important for the compensation claim. Many victims have no idea what they should do. Others give in to the pressure and the adrenaline rush. A Henderson car accident lawyer, even if only by phone, will help their client focus and take the right steps. Here is what they involve:
- Stopping at the accident scene or as close to it as possible: It is a legal obligation according to Nevada Revised Statutes Section 484E.030.
- Requesting medical assistance for the injured: Timely medical assistance can save lives, so every minute counts.
- Reporting the accident: Nevada drivers have the obligation to report to the police accidents involving injuries or damages over $750. They should also consider reporting the accident to their insurer. It could be an obligation in their insurance policy.
- Calling a Henderson car accident lawyer: If called on time, the latter may be able to come to the scene and assist their client. If they cannot, they may at least provide helpful advice.
Gathering contact and insurance information
In order to seek compensation for their losses, victims will need to know who caused the accident. They will need to know what car they were driving, and more. The names, phone numbers, and addresses of potential witnesses are important as well. Without these details, not even the best accident attorney in Henderson may be able to help.
In-car accident compensation claims, the burden of proof falls on the claimant. They will need to support their claim with evidence. Most of the necessary evidence is available at the scene. Important details are brake marks, values displayed on the speedometer, oil leaks, open alcohol containers. If present at the scene, any car accident lawyer will take over the process. Without them, the victim has to do everything by themselves.
Think twice before talking or signing
Although they are not under arrest, everything victims say could be used against them. They should, therefore, avoid talking and focus on listening, taking notes, and gathering evidence. Under no circumstances should they sign papers without consulting an accident attorney. Otherwise, they may discover they waived their right to compensation.
Schedule a Consultation with a Henderson Car Accident Lawyer Now!
If you were involved in a car accident in Henderson, we can help. We can guide your steps at the accident scene and handle your compensation claim. We can answer your questions and defend your interests. We’ll not stop until we obtain the compensation you deserve. Find out more about what we can do for you by scheduling a free consultation.
Contact Us Now to Get the Money You Deserve!