If in your initial consultation your car accident lawyer tells you an exact time frame for your case settlement, you may want to get a new lawyer. Nobody knows that early on how long it takes to get a settlement. Every case is different. That means that every case can take a different amount of time to settle.
If you get into a car accident in Las Vegas, you should call a car accident lawyer in Nevada right away. It’s not a bad idea to do this even before you file your car insurance claim. If the other driver is at fault, they should be held liable for your injuries.
If you’re lucky, the insurance company will pay your claim right away. If this is the case, you’ll get your check within a week or two. However, not everyone is so lucky. The insurance company may deny your claim or say they need more information.
This is when your Las Vegas car accident lawyer can help. They’ll contact the insurance adjuster and see what the status of your claim is. They’ll also get a feel for whether or not your claim will be paid.
If your claim isn’t paid at the outset, it could take months or even a year to settle your case. Your car accident attorney in Las Vegas can give you an idea of when this will happen. But they can’t give you an exact timeframe.
What Factors Impact Your Settlement?
Some cases are stronger than others. That’s just the way it is. Whether or not your case settles quickly depends on a lot of different factors. Some of these factors include:
- The seriousness of your injuries – The more serious your injuries, the longer it will take to determine your damages. You don’t want to settle your case before you know if you’re going to need future medical care. So, if you’re going to need a lot of physical therapy and follow-up care, your attorney will want to wait before they make a final demand.
- The strength of your evidence – Your attorney may have to spend a lot of time gathering evidence to prove your case. In these situations, it can take longer to settle your case. However, if you have the information your lawyer needs right away, they may be able to settle your case in a shorter timeframe.
- Resources to pay your damages – One of the first things your Las Vegas car accident lawyer will do is gauge the defendant’s assets. It’s important to determine what sources are available to pay your damages. So, if the defendant has insurance, your case may settle more quickly than if they don’t.
Once your lawyer reviews all of these factors, they can give you an estimate of when your case may settle. If they need to file a lawsuit on your behalf, it may take much longer for your case to settle.
Why Would Your Lawyer Have to File Suit?
Not every case is going to settle right off the bat. The insurance company may deny your claim. They could do this for any number of reasons, including:
- The policy wasn’t valid
- They believe you were at fault
- They don’t believe you were injured
- They think you’re exaggerating your injuries
- You have a history of filing car accident claims
Regardless of the reason, if your claim is denied, your lawyer will have to negotiate with the insurance adjuster. They’ll try to negotiate a settlement with the adjuster. However, there’s no guarantee this will happen.
IF your lawyer can’t get the adjuster to agree to a settlement, they’ll have no choice but to file suit. The defendant’s insurance company will have to defend the lawsuit on their client’s behalf. This means they’ll be the same people your lawyer will deal with once suit is filed.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas
If you get into a car accident in Las Vegas, you’re going to need to file an insurance claim. If your claim is denied, you should contact an experienced injury attorney in Las Vegas. Your lawyer at Nettles Morris Law Firm will review your case and let you know what it may be worth. They’ll also let you know how long it may take to settle your case. However, this will only be an estimate.
Call today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.