If you get hurt in any kind of accident, you’ll probably suffer some injuries. These could be minor or very serious. It depends on the type of accident you get in. Regardless of the type of accident, you’ll probably be entitled to damages. The whole reason you hire a personal injury lawyer in Las Vegas is to get compensation. Otherwise, you wouldn’t file a claim in the first place. The reason you go after the defendant’s insurance is so that the personal injury settlement will include medical bills and other losses.
In order to have any shot at recovering against the defendant, you need to do a few things after your accident. First, you need to call the police or fill out an incident report. It’s important that you document your accident in some way.
The other thing you need to do is seek medical treatment immediately after your accident. This is the only way you can make sure you’re okay. It’s also the only way to prove that you were injured.
Your Las Vegas personal injury attorney needs you to do both of these things. If you don’t, he’s going to have a very hard time proving your case.
What Kind of Damages Will Your Las Vegas Personal Injury Attorney Demand?
If you get hurt at the hands of another, your lawyer is going to demand that they are held accountable. The best way to do this is to have them compensate you for your injuries. You don’t care where this money comes from. If the defendant has insurance, you can file a claim against his insurance. If he has no insurance, you can file a personal injury lawsuit.
When you file your claim or lawsuit, your lawyer will demand that you receive compensation. This compensation is meant to reimburse you for any losses you suffered as a result of the accident.
Your lawyer will demand that you receive the following:
- Medical bills – If you get hurt, you’re going to need medical care. The defendant should be responsible for these bills. This includes both current and future medical bills.
- Lost wages – If your injuries are serious, you’ll miss a lot of work. If you miss weeks or months of work, the defendant will be liable for your lost wages.
- Property damages – If you’re in a car accident, you’ll be entitled to the repairs or replacement value of your car.
- Pain and suffering – If your injuries are serious, you’ll probably receive pain and suffering. These damages are intended to compensate you for the physical and mental anguish you suffer due to the accident.
- Permanent disability – If you’re unable to work as a result of the accident, you may end up on permanent disability. The defendant will be liable for the difference between what you receive on disability compared to what you would’ve made if you were working.
Your Las Vegas personal injury lawyer is going to make sure you receive all of these. The more serious your injuries, the higher your damages.
Who Pays for Your Medical Care After the Accident?
Immediately after the accident, you’re going to need medical care. Someone has to pay for this medical care. If the defendant’s insurance company denies your claim, you’ll have to find some other way to cover this treatment.
Also, if you have private health insurance, they’ll cover your medical bills. If not, you’ll have to rely on either Medicare or Medicaid to cover your hospital and doctor bills. Medicare is available to people who are older and retired. Medicaid is available to people who have no assets and qualify as indigent.
These insurance providers are not going to want to pay for your medical care. They’re going to wonder why the defendant didn’t take care of these expenses. So, when you settle your case, they’re going to expect to be reimbursed.
Most insurance providers are actually going to put a lien against your personal injury suit to ensure they’re reimbursed. This means that, when you get your settlement, the first person you’ll have to pay are these insurance providers. Depending on the type of provider, they may or may not allow you to deduct attorney fees from their lien amount.
Contact a Las Vegas Personal Injury Lawyer Today
If you’re injured in any type of accident, you need to call a personal injury law firm that serves Nevada. They can review your case and let you know what it may be worth. He can also ensure that your medical expenses are covered while your lawsuit is pending.
Call today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.