When you are involved in a car accident, your life is turned upside down, but a car accident lawyer might be able to help. You may suffer severe injuries, your car may be totaled and you may not be able to work for weeks or months while you recover from your injuries. While the emotional trauma is difficult to evaluate, the financial losses can be calculated and are significant.
The good news for accident victims is that the Nevada personal injury law allows them to find financial relief by filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit against the party responsible for the accident. This means that you need to hire a Las Vegas auto accident lawyer to prepare your case file and negotiate your settlement.
What Type of Fees Do You Have to Pay a Car Accident Lawyer?
At this point, many people become wary. “So, on top of the hospital bills, lost wages, and costs to repair and replace my car, I also have to hire a car accident lawyer? Usually, they charge high fees. I cannot afford this now.”
US legislation in all states recognizes that this is a challenging situation. The accident victim is caught between a rock and a hard place – trying to find financial relief, yet having to pay fees in order to get the necessary legal representation. This is why most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis.
Understanding the Concept of Contingency Fee
This type of legal representation is based on the concept that the car accident lawyer gets paid after they win your case. A percentage or a fixed amount is deducted from the out-of-court settlement or jury award and represents the lawyer’s fee.
The contingency fee principle has many advantages for people who want to seek compensation from the party at fault for their economic losses:
- They can start the legal action in a timely manner
- They do not have to pay upfront fees, which in many cases they cannot afford
- They have the assurance that the lawyer has a vested interest to win the maximum compensation allowed by law.
Do You Really Need a Car Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas?
Despite the assurance that they do not have to pay upfront fees, many people still believe that they can handle their own car accident claim and keep the entire settlement amount.
They feel that having the law by their side, they do not need an attorney to prepare and file their claim. In reality, a study conducted by the Insurance Research Council found that:
- In 85% of cases when an insurance company agreed to settle a car accident claim, the claimant was represented by a lawyer
- People who hired a personal injury attorney won 3.5 times more money than people who represented themselves.
Here are some other important reasons why you should let an experienced Las Vegas personal injury lawyer handle your car accident case:
1. The Insurance Company Will Try to Dismiss Your Claim
Insurance companies are for-profit businesses. Thus, they will start by trying to thwart your attempts at filing a claim for economic damages. Some of the most common tactics they use are:
- You were partly at fault for your accident
- You cannot prove the extent of your injuries and emotional trauma in court
- Your doctor’s medical report is not reliable so you will have to be reexamined by one of our approved healthcare professionals.
A car accident attorney can easily counteract these tactics by stating that:
- The comparative negligence principle applicable in Nevada does not bar accident victims from seeking compensation if they were less than 50% at fault
- There is sufficient evidence available to prove the case in court – both medical records and bills for hospital stay and medical treatments
- If a second opinion is required, only an independent healthcare provider is acceptable.
2. You Cannot Estimate Your Total Losses Correctly
If you try to file and negotiate your personal injury claim on your own, you may make one of these two mistakes: ask for too little money or for too much. In the first instance, you may not be aware of the total financial losses you will sustain until you are fully recovered. In some cases, you may be left with permanent disabilities and may require life care services, assistive devices, and long-term rehabilitation therapy.
If, on the other hand, you ask for an unreasonably large amount of money, the insurance company will have a valid reason to dismiss your claim.
A car accident lawyer will know exactly how much money to ask and will present the necessary evidence that justifies every single dollar.
3. You Don’t Know Where to Look for Evidence
Whether you file a personal injury claim or take the case to court, the burden of proof rests with you. This means that you have to prove that:
- The responsible party owed you a duty of care
- They breached their duty, causing the accident
- The accident caused your injuries
- You suffered economic losses as a result of the injuries.
Also, you have to prove that the responsible party was more than 50% at fault for the accident. This is the critical part of a personal injury lawsuit, legitimizing your right to seek compensation.
A personal injury attorney will be able to prove your case, using the following types of evidence:
- Police report prepared at the accident scene
- Medical report of your injuries
- Photos, videos, and CCTV footage
- Eyewitness testimonies
- Expert witnesses, including accident reconstruction specialists.
Bring Your Case to an Experienced Las Vegas Personal Injury Law Firm
Nettles Morris law firm was founded in 2003 and has grown into one of the most reputable teams of personal injury attorneys. We have extensive experience in fighting for our clients’ rights both in settlement negotiations with insurance companies and in court.
We know that, after a car accident, you are in pain and worried about your chances of recovery and your family’s financial future. We will fight to win the maximum compensation you deserve so that you can focus on getting better.
We work on a contingency fee basis, as explained at the beginning of this article, so contact us as soon as possible at 702-410-6329 to book a free consultation with a Las Vegas personal injury lawyer!