Getting into a truck accident can be one of the most traumatic things you ever endure. More likely than not, you’ll suffer some pretty serious injuries. This is because the tractor-trailer is a lot bigger than your car or SUV. The impact from this sort of crash can be devastating. Henderson semi-truck accident lawyers understand this. That’s why they work so hard to get their clients compensation for their injuries.
Most people realize that these trucks can be so dangerous. That’s why so many people try to avoid them as much as possible. They feel intimidated by these large machines. Every now and then, however, there’s nothing you can do to get away from one. If they happen to flip or jackknife while you’re close by, you could end up in the hospital. If this happens, you may need surgery or long-term physical therapy. This means you’ll be out of work for quite some time.
Your Henderson truck accident lawyer is going to work hard to get you as much money as possible. It’s their job to make sure the truck driver and the company they work for are held responsible.
What Kind Of Damages Can Your Henderson Semi Truck Accident Attorney Demand?
When you first meet with your Henderson truck accident lawyer, they’re going to ask to see a few things. First, they’re going to want to see copies of any correspondence you’ve received from the defendant’s attorney or insurance company. They’ll also need to see a copy of the police report. Finally, they’ll want to take a look at your medical records. This way, they’ll have a complete picture of what happened to you.
After they’ve reviewed your case, they’ll have a better idea of what sort of damages you may be entitled to. This could include any or all of the following:
- Medical Bills – The defendant or their insurance company should be held liable for your medical bills. This includes any bills that have already been covered by your insurance company. They’ll expect to be reimbursed when you finally settle your lawsuit.
- Lost Wages – If you miss more than a couple of weeks from work, you can demand compensation. Your Henderson truck accident attorney will have to submit copies of your paystubs. This will prove how much time you’ve missed.
- Lost Future Income – If you’re going to be out of work for a while, you can demand lost future income. The same is true if you can no longer do the same type of work that you did before the accident. Your attorney will demand compensation for the difference between what you would’ve earned and what you’ll actually earn.
- Pain and Suffering – Most truck accident victims can demand pain and suffering. These damages are meant to cover any mental or physical anguish caused by the crash.
- Property Damage – Obviously, you can expect to be reimbursed for any money it cost to repair or replace your vehicle.
Every case is unique. Whether or not you’re entitled to these damages depends on the facts of your case.
You May Be Entitled To Punitive Damages As Well
There is one other type of damages that you may be entitled to. They are called punitive damages. It’s important to keep in mind that it is rare to be awarded punitive damages in a truck accident. The judge only awards these damages when they want to send a message to the defendant. These damages serve to punish the wrongdoer. The only time they’ll agree to this sort of compensation is when the defendant was reckless or grossly negligent.
An example of when the court may issue punitive damages is when the defendant was drunk driving at the time of the crash. When someone decides to get behind the wheel after drinking, they know there’s a good chance they’ll hurt or kill someone. The judge may want to send a message to the defendant, so they don’t do something like this again. They also want the public to know that they take drunk driving seriously.
Call And Talk To A Seasoned Henderson Semi Truck Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one are injured in a truck accident, you need help. An experienced truck accident lawyer in Henderson can give you the help you need. Call and schedule your free initial consultation as soon as possible after your crash. The consultation is free, and you don’t pay a dime until your case settles or is otherwise resolved.